Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Round #2 Started Monday

Though so far I've been fine, my experience from Round #1 warns me that things will likely be getting much worse for me starting tomorrow (Thursday, Day #4). Given the 20% dosage reduction this round, I'm admittedly feeling more confident, but I don't want to be naive about this either. My liver enzymes on Monday were still nearly triple the normal range and my other blood work continued to show some signs of anemia. In other words, yes I have a dosage reduction this round, but I'm also starting in a worse position (physically) than I did for Round #1.

In fairness to my doctor, he was ready to push Round #2 off yet another week. I put my foot down though and said "We really need to stay on schedule" and that if he wanted to let this slip another week, I would ask that it slip another 2 weeks as I have plans the weekend of March 23rd (which I would be forced to miss if the schedule slipped a week). And there was no way he was going to let this slip 2 weeks because at that point it could diminish the cancer killing impact of Round #1. So, after hearing my reasons and conferring with his mentor (my original Oncologist) for a quick 2nd opinion, they agreed to "bite the bullet" and start Round #2 on Monday, March 11. I'm hoping this was indeed the correct decision as it will be me paying the price if it's not!

Just as with Round #1, they are keeping a very close and careful eye on me. I have appointments scheduled every single day this week (for blood tests and fluids) and am already scheduled for an appointment with the doctor next Monday. And though I really appreciate all of the care and attention, it leaves little time for anything else as each daily appointment takes anywhere from 6 - 7 hours depending upon how smoothly appointments are running and how heavy the Atlanta traffic is on my way there and back. It's exhausting.

A Big "Thank You" for all of the Cards and Emails

So many people have written me and I can't even being to communicate how much this means to me (and Holly).  One of the most encouraging emails was from a next door neighbor, who wrote:
We hate the toll this treatment is taking on you. Hopefully, the cancer cells are MORE miserable than you are!
What an encouraging observation!  I obviously am hoping this is exactly what's going on inside me now!

Decision on "Manny Pack" Name

I was honestly surprised that nearly 100 potential names were sent to me for my chemo pack.  Only one of these names, however, came with it's own song!  A good friend, fellow Liposarcoma Survivor, and all-around talented guy (Robbie Long) came up with the name Love Pack . . . and this song:

Of course, Round #1 didn't really feel like "Love" . . . at least not to me.  So think of this song as more like a prayer . . . a hope that what Yondelis delivers will ultimately be a good thing to me and the family.  I love it!

5 comments:

  1. Hope you can stay on schedule and do well this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you all constantly, and praying for an easier second round...and death to all cancer cells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for you every day. We will pray for strength for this second round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, Holly and the boys. Dave, you are such an inspiration to us all. Keep fighting and we will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’re an incredible guy, Dave! I hope this second round goes smoothly. You’ll defeat this rotten cancer once and for all!

    ReplyDelete