Thursday, March 7, 2019

Exam Week; Spring Break

My apologies for not posting an update earlier.  As you likely have guessed by now, I did not get more chemo on Monday.  That has been tentatively rescheduled for Monday, March 11.  Call it a Spring Break or whatever, I was happy to not get more chemo this past Monday.  I was just too weak, so the doctor gave me a week.

Actually, there was some real concern from the doctor as to what was going on with me.  Yes, my liver enzymes are still high and I'm slightly anemic, but that alone should not have been enough to explain my extreme fatigue and cold chills.  Therefore, the following tests were ordered:
  1. Blood cultures from both my port and my arm were taken in order to rule out an infection in my port. Thankfully, there was no infection.
  2. A Chest CT was ordered as a follow-up to an earlier Chest X-Ray, which showed fluid in my lower lungs.  The Chest CT essentially confirmed what the X-Ray had shown, but nobody is currently too concerned, though they are keeping a close eye on it.
  3. The Chest CT also revealed "indeterminate lesions within the liver", which resulted in the doctor ordering a Liver MRI with contrast.  The results of that seemed to indicate these were hemangiomas, which the doctor says are anatomical rather than pathological.  Even so, they wish to compare the Liver MRI with my recent Emory CT just to confirm that things appear unchanged.  Still awaiting results.
So no chemo, but I've been to the doctor's office and numerous imaging facilities 3 of 4 days this week thus far!  Thankfully, I have Friday off in order to try and catch up with things at work.

Overall, I think I'm feeling better this week.  I still am getting cold chills, but I think I'm feeling stronger and more like myself.  Certainly I'm moving in the right direction.
Assuming my labs look good on Monday and nothing strange/scary comes back with my Liver scan comparison, I should be ready for Round #2.  I will add that the doctor has already promised me that the dosage for Round #2 will be about 20% less that what he gave me for Round #1, so I should tolerate it better.

3 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you are feeling better. Thanks for the update. We are following your every post and comment. Hugs + luv ... Bridget + Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong Dave, you've got this! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete