Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Round #1, Day #2: Unpack Day

Today I go in back to get my "man purse" detached.  Of course, there's no way I'm going to let that name stick; I need your help with a hipper, more trendy name for this "pack".  Here's a few pictures so we all know what I'm talking about:
Close Up showing pump window
The "Secret Sauce" on the inside

What do you call this 'pack'?

So far in the running I've heard:
  • Manny Pack
  • Man Bag
  • Satchel
  • Rucksack
None are very clever.  Whatever you want to call it, "purse" anywhere in the name is not acceptable.  And calling it a "backpack" is a real misnomer too as it has a single strap.

They made me watch a 9 minute "safety video" about the pump, which included helpful information such as "Do not take a bath with the pump".  I guess there's a lot of stupid out there, and if you don't explicitly call it out, someone's bound to try it.

You also don't want to cut or detach the line from your port to the pump.  The nurse mentioned that some guy recently decided to trim his hedges while hooked up and inadvertently cut his line in the process.  Who would have thought such a thing were even possible?!?  I'm sticking with my original statement!

I was actually getting a little concerned about doing something stupid myself while I was sleeping.  At least once last night the port area on my chest was feeling scratchy and I was ready to scratch hard and rip that thing out without even thinking.  Luckily I woke up just enough to come to my senses before I did anything I was sure to regret.

But even if that were to happen, have been equipped with an Emergency Spill Kit that I have been assured is capable of handling even the worst toxic spills:
Chemotherapy Emergency Spill Kit

Yes, it's a paper towel, a pair of vinyl gloves, and a zip-lock bag.  The nurse was actually shocked that it was so minimal.  Apparently it used to be much better (2 paper towels?), but with cost-cutting and all, this is what we have today.  Progress indeed . . . kind of along the lines of the Duck and Cover drills from the 1950s, which promised protection, but ultimately only provided the illusion of being safe!  Keep in mind that these chemo nurses wear a hazmat-approved full gown and face mask with working with stuff.  So best to avoid any accidents at home!

As I'm writing this post, it is Tuesday morning and I'm just about to head to the Dr's office.  Overall, I'm feeling much better than I was 10 1/2 years ago going through the AIM regimen.  It's really too early though to make any judgement quite yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.  I will say that I think I'm already feeling a little "chemo brain" as this post has been considerably more difficult to write than others.  I guess this is to be expected.

Part of what I get when I go in today is a 2-hour hydration IV plus more anti-nausea meds.

I've been told that the "danger zone" with Yondelis is typically between day 7 - 10.  Today is Day #2 in my cycle, so still a good ways to go before I know if Yondelis and I can become good friends.

10 comments:

  1. I noticed your birthday is blacked out, you don’t have to be shy about hmyour age 60 is the new young!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know as I’m WAY younger than 60 (currently 57). And trust me, I know how this age/birthday thing works. Holly has a birthday in 9 days and god forbid I should declare her any older than she is RIGHT NOW. I’ve warned her though: she’s catching up!

      Delete
  2. Lump Pump? Hope you tolerate the Yondelis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you still have your sense of humor. Continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote Manny Pack!!! Corny and unoriginal but really funny. A true dad joke ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for Packi or of it’s female, Packa—but I guess with the pump, it’s probably male!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Armory or arsenal (pack)? Tumor grenade? Chemo silo? Photon torpedo transporter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bockscar (plane that dropped bomb on Nagasaki)

    ReplyDelete