Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Waiting for the other shoe to drop . . .

As you may recall, it was exactly 2 weeks ago today that I met with my Orthopedic Oncologist for my 10-year CT scans.  It was then that they first identified my pelvic tumor.  At the time, my doctor thought that treatment would likely involve chemo, radiation, and surgery, but that I should be able to retain a fairly "functional" right leg.  An MRI was then ordered to get a closer look.

Having had this closer look, however, my Orthopedic Oncologist laid out the following 3 primary determinants of surgery type:
  1. Sciatic nerve
  2. Femoral nerve
  3. Hip stability
One must have 2 out of these 3 to make the leg worth saving.  For me, the ruling is as follows:
  1. Sciatic nerve -- not OK, as it is totally involved with the tumor
  2. Femoral nerve -- OK
  3. Hip stability -- could go either way, but leaning to not OK since tumor approaches the hip.  Final judgement awaits chemo results.
If indeed there are 2 or more "strikes", surgery would involve a Hemipelvectomy (extended) through the sacrum.  Now that's literally the "other shoe dropping"!

Yes, a lot can change in 2 weeks . . . and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this latest news.  For now though, life goes on and I must find the mental fortitude to focus on the here and now rather than the "what ifs" down the road.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you and Holly every day, pal. Really disappointed I missed seeing you in the office today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, you kicked cancer ass once and this time I am sure you can beat it again! Go Dave!!!

    ReplyDelete