Sunday, December 18, 2022

Proton Radiation Approved! Treatment Underway!

Just wanted to give a big "Thank you!" to my readers, supporters, and family for their prayers and steadfast encouragement.  This past Tuesday (December 13), I received a call from the Emory Proton Therapy Center informing me that UHC insurance finally approved proton radiation.  I started the 1st of 15 rounds on Thursday (December 15).  Due to holidays at Christmas and New Years, my last day of treatment won't be until Monday, January 9, 2023.

Thus far, I have to say that I am very impressed with this new Emory facility.  It is currently the only proton treatment center in Georgia.  Everybody I've met there -- from doctors, nurses, radiation therapists, and office staff -- has been extremely professional and positive.  I'm grateful that we have a facility like this in Atlanta!

It's also pretty cool all they do to get you lined up properly for each treatment.  Lasers must line up with marks previously placed on your body, then a new X-Ray has to align perfectly with superimposed CT images taken from back during radiation planning.  For me, they pay particular attention to my pelvic bones and back when making this alignment.  To aid in this process, the table moves in all sorts of directions (including tilt and rotate).  The picture below might give you some idea as to how this all works:

My next update will likely not be until the completion of my treatment.  Until then, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to all!

1 comment: