Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Scans all clear!

My chest-only CT-scan was clear . . . as expected. But the best part is that because I'm just about to hit my 3-year NED mark, the doctor says that my scan schedule can shift to every 6 months. Yeah!

My doctor also tells me that 3 years NED is really a big milestone for high-grade sarcoma patients, as 90% of all recurrence would have revealed itself by now. Such recurrence (should it happen) would very likely show up in the chest, abdomen, or pelvis, and sometimes (but rarely) in the origin (my left thigh).

Talk to you in another 6 months!

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Long may NED live with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother has Myxoid Liposarcoma. She was diagnosed in 2002 and is still going on strong. She too had it in her thigh (the upper inner of her left) but it since moved into her spine. After surgeries, tons of chemo (even experimental UK stuff not FDA approved yet), crazy amounts of radiation, and now just finishing her CyberKnife treatments she's still the happy (often hilarious) woman she was back then. Actually even more so now. I pray for your health sir, and hope you live on for decades to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's HUGE, Dave. Congratulations on navigating through!

    Unless I hear you don't want it, I'll add your name to my ribbon list when I run to fight cancer in January's Rock 'n Roll marathon in Phoenix.

    I heard about your fight from Susie Holbrook.

    Sending good mojo your way. ~ Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just want to say thanks for making this blog. I was diagnosed with myxoid liposarcoma in January, and read your story with intense interest (as you can imagine). For me, the first weeks after diagnosis were the toughest. Your blog helped me stay sane, and also helped me know what to expect. Thanks for sharing your story!

    p.s. Also thanks for telling the world about 23andme's free genetic testing for sarcoma patients. I just sent it for my kit. :)

    ReplyDelete