Sunday, December 7, 2008

Doing great . . . so far

I feel great!
Perhaps it’s because Dr. Gina D’Amato went easier on me this time than last, but I’ve been doing great since I got home on Thursday. And, thanks to the Emend (the best anti-nausea drug I’ve tried), I’ve been eating at practically my normal pre-chemo intake rate (read as hungry man). It’s really nice to feel good for once. Holly thinks this is the best I’ve ever been coming out of a chemo cycle.

"Bad" week ahead
But before I get too excited, I need to remind myself that my hard week is approaching. My levels have been dropping since I got out of the hospital and will continue to drop. I expect to bottom-out sometime between Tuesday and Thursday of this week. It’s only a question as to how low that bottom is and whether or not it will send me back into the hospital. I certainly do not want to go and have already said my goodbyes to the nurses on the cancer floor. I just don’t think I could handle hearing anyone say “patient dining” at this point.

That's a lot of chemo!
To give you an idea of just how much chemo I get (and had gotten), Round #6 consisted of exactly half the amount I received during Rounds 1 – 4 (for both the Doxorubicin and the Ifosfamide). Even so, the good doctor tells me that I am still receiving “ample” amounts of chemo. She went on to say that this “half dose” is greater than the max doses many doctors give their cancer patients. Oh really?!? Well, than thanks for going “easy” on me doc! I’m just glad the chemo part is over (hopefully forever).

2 comments:

  1. The end of chemo forever has a really nice sound to it.

    Sorry I haven't been able to visit but I was out sick for part of the week so you don't need to be anywhere near me -- in fact stay away from the office for a while cause there has been more than one type of bug going around.

    As always, all the best to you, Holly, and the boys. I look forward to a proper celebration involving appropriately large quantities of Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go David Go! Your almost at the finish line! Have the best Christmas ever!
    God Bless You,
    Annmarie Keogh

    ReplyDelete