Thursday, August 28, 2008

Round #2 going smoothly

Well, so far so good. My nausea is under control and though my appetite has shrunk, I’m still eating some food. Perhaps most importantly, both my Red and White blood cell counts are still in the normal range. I’m also making a point of walking a several laps on my floor a few times a day (thank you sister Barbara) in an effort to stay active and keep my body moving. Even my weight has been fairly stable this time around (the last time I quickly gained 15 lbs in fluids).

About the only real negative at this point is I’m suffering from some mild “chemo brain” again. One of the doctors here was asking for the URL for my blog and I couldn’t even remember it. Thankfully doing a simple Google search for dnovak and Liposarcoma finds my site rather quickly, which I did remember. But all things considered, I really can’t complain about how smoothly things are going with Round #2.

Neutrophil Count a bit on the high side
My latest labs show a Neutrophil count of 84%, which is a bit high but of no real concern. In fact, this is all considered a good thing and hopefully will give me a leg up on keeping my counts up next week when I really need it. As you may recall, critically low Neutrophil counts put me back in the hospital last weekend, which I’d like to avoid this next time if possible!

Getting out earlier than expected
It turns out that with this round of Chemo I’m getting my Mesna with each dosage of Ifosfamide. Therefore, I will not be getting the 24 drip of Mesna after the Ifosfamide finished up (as originally reported). Yeah! This means I get to come home Friday night.

7 comments:

  1. Good news! Great to hear it. Get yourself home and get to feeling better so we can chat (or see you again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this round is going well so far. I'm working on my Gamerscore while I wait for you to have some ToT with me.

    Eat all you can while you have an appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure if you really remember me but I was Bryce's first grade teacher. (Lori Free) I just wanted to say good luck and to let me know if you all need anything. We live in the same neighborhood, Holly has been to my house so she can find us. hahaha Give Bryce a hug from me and tell him to stay positive with a daily happy thought. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are doing better this time. Keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the update. I was thrilled to see the excellent progress report. And hey ... your chemo brain is like 5x better than most normal brains ...

    We'll be pulling for you over the weekend, through the holiday and into your week at home. Keep 'knockin those rogue cells outta the park'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news that you get to go home -- even though it does take you far away from the beloved Varsity dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great news, pal! It sounds like you are really kicking some butt. Awesome.

    Glad to hear you are home for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete