Monday, August 4, 2008

My "Vacation" has started; my Chemo has not (yet)

Hi everyone! Well, I have been admitted today as expected and should get going on my chemo treatment shortly. In the meantime, I’m finally set up here in room 7120 at Crawford Long Hospital. With Holly now headed back home and the kids away all day, this feels like a vacation . . . or at least a business trip. Though don’t be surprised if I change my tune in a little bit after the chemo starts flowing.

Now to update you on some previous tests. The area noted near my right axilla was indeed confirmed to be yet another Lipoma (I have 5 of those now). The more interesting result was my MUGA scan, which indicated that my heart does not appear to be strong enough to handle the chemo known as Doxorubicin (a.k.a. Adriamycin). The scan computed my ejection fraction at 0.45 and it needs to be 0.50 or greater to undergo that more powerful chemo drug. So, as a contingency, I’m going to be getting a stronger dosage of Ifosfamide instead. Furthermore, Dr. D’Amato ordered a cardiology consult to do further tests on my heart. If those tests are normal, I may be put back on Doxorubicin.

Given that the Ifosfamide is served up in 12-hour doses for 4 days, it would seem as though I won’t be getting out of here until Friday morning. If you wanted to call me, I do have a direct line: 404-686-7120. If I don’t answer, it’s either because I’m not in my room or not feeling up to taking a call.

It’s really nice that they have free wireless here at the hospital. And of course I’ve packed my laptop and have my iPhone. So much has changed in the 8 years since I’ve last seen the inside of a hospital!

2 comments:

  1. Dave - Hang in there! Ema and I will be thinking about you and sending some seriously strong, positive thoughts your way. Glad you've got wireless and your laptop handy. The last time Ema was in the hospital - three weeks ago, I was glad to see that the days of two fuzzy TV channels and outdated "Look" magazines have given way to technology and cable TV in every room. At least here in the states. Keep the blog entries coming as you feel well enough. Got an RSS feed hooked up so I'm getting them almost in real time! ~Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dave!

    I am friends with your sister Deborah, and your brother-in-law Dan. They are both, such a gift to our family, and we love them very much! My sweet, wonderful, Deb, shared your story with me, and I just want you to know that you are in my family's thoughts and prayers!

    My 16 year old son is heading to Egleston Sunday for his 4th and final round of chemo before a bone marrow transplant, so we know a little about what you are going through.

    You are going to get through this! Keep your eye on the prize, and don't worry about what may happen with the chemo, just deal with what does happen. No sense worrying about a process you may breeze right through! Everyone is different, and the chemo affects everyone differently.

    If you do experience some of the side effects, you will make it through one day at a time. You are about to take a ride on the biggest roller coaster of your life. Just remember for every down day, an up day is just around the corner. And, when you look back, all of your friends and loved ones will be in the seats behind you, experiencing every twist and turn with you. You are not alone.

    God bless you and your wonderful family.

    Sincerely,
    Annmarie Keogh

    ReplyDelete